Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"The Sword in the Stone"



At 25 weeks, I could honestly say that I had no complaints about pregnancy thus far.  I was blessed with only about four weeks of nausea,  one terrible migraine, my husband had not yet divorced me for being a lunatic, and I had energy to burn (on most days that is).  It wasn't until I woke up one morning feeling like someone was holding my bladder in their hand and squeezing it like a stress ball, that I said "Okay, this sucks."  I went to work as usual and tried to blame the pain on my poor, innocent little girl.  I just assumed that she was sitting directly on my bladder and would not move. Stubborn like daddy :) Ha!  But as the day went on, the pain only got worse.  I couldn't stop moving and felt very afraid by the pain in my stomach.  By 1:00, I knew I had to call the doctor.  They told me to come in to do a urinalysis and that they would let me know asap what the problem was.  The nurse just thought it was a UTI or something crazy like that.  When I got a call at 4:30 saying, "Julie, it's not a UTI..it's kidney stones,"  I really just wanted to give up.  I had never felt so helpless and I cried...a lot.  The combination of pain, emotions, pain, confusion, and more pain just did me in.  I really can't describe it, but it really felt like someone jabbing a sword through my stomach, into my ribs, and all the way through my back.  The worst part?  There was NOTHING I could do but drink water and go to the emergency room if I couldn't take the pain.  So, I rocked back and forth, prayed, and drank three liters of water in two hours.  Gradually, the pain started to go away and I'm pretty sure it passed that night.  

Now that it's all over, I don't even remember the pain.  Let's hope labor is the same way...except next time, I would really like to pass a baby instead of a stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment