Total Pageviews

Monday, August 1, 2011

Wet Hot American Summer


If there's one thing I've heard a million times while I've been prego, it's how the absolute worst time to be pregnant is during the summer.  I get so many sympathetic looks and comments all about me carrying a child in this heat.  I must admit that it is definitely not the most comfortable feeling in the world, but I can honestly say that if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change a thing.  So, for those of you reading who are thinking about having a child in the future or adding another to the family, here is my own list of pros and cons of summer pregnancy...
Cons:
*It's hot. Go figure.  It's summertime, silly!  Seriously though, EVERYONE is hot.  It's inevitable.
*Swelling- Obviously there will be swelling; hands, feet, ankles, face...nothing spared!  But, I'm pretty sure that happens either way and I would much rather ice my feet during summer than winter!
*Sweat-- Yeah, it happens to the best of us.
*If you don't like hearing how much you are not going to like being pregnant during the summer and how miserable it is going to be, make a plan NOT to be pregnant during the summer.  You're going to hear about it otherwise :)

Pros:
Yes, there are pros! Plenty of them, in my opinion!
*The adorable clothes-- I can honestly say that I have not bought one item of maternity clothing.   My mom bought me one maternity outfit early on and I will save it forever just as memorabilia.  Thanks to fashion trends these days, baby doll tops and empire waist sundresses are sooo easy to find. And wear!! My daily wardrobe usually consists of thin, tight-like leggings and a sundress or long shirt.  I have a few pairs of comfy yoga pants that I wear with stretchy tanks or baby doll tops.  Favorite place to shop?? Rugged Wearhouse!  Cheap and big belly friendly!  Most importantly, I can wear all of the clothes again one day and have not spent my life savings on maternity clothes.
*Daylight Savings Time-- I love the fact that we gained an extra hour in March when I was roughly four and a half months pregnant.  I walk 2 miles every morning before work and have been since March.  If not for the summer sun coming up around 6 am, there's no way I would be motivated to exercise, which I know is going to benefit Everleigh and me when it comes time for delivery day!
*Swimming--Who doesn't love a good swim?  Great exercise or a relaxing way to beat the heat! 

I am 2 days shy of being 38 weeks along.  Some days are harder, and hotter, than others and everyone has a different experience.  But, I must say, I am surprisingly an advocate of summer pregnancy!  Next time, however, I may shoot for the beginning of June as opposed to mid-August ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment